Husker Rehab Tips
Everybody’s situation is different. However, the following tips can help you make the most of your time at Husker Rehab. For more ideas to make rehab more effective, experiment with a few searches in the handy WebMD box on this page or check out the rehab links down below. Get ready, get set, get fit!
Physical Therapy Tips
Playing tennis, golf, a pickup game of basketball or even just cleaning up around the house may be a simple, routine task but these activities can result in injury due to abnormal movement, strain on muscles or stress on joints.
Physical therapists are especially trained to develop treatment programs to improve strength, flexibility and coordination, as well as to counteract the effects of incorrect movement patterns that put abnormal stress on joints.
Exercise programs developed by physical therapists can reduce athletes’ risk of injury by 41% (American Journal of Sports Medicine, August 2008).
A physical therapist can help you improve your quality of life by moving freely again without pain and discomfort and help you feel renewed and ready to move on.
88% of physical therapy users say the care they received was beneficial in helping them return to normal activity, increase their range of motion, and relieve their pain. (APTA Consumer Survey, October 2007)
Exercise has long been known to be beneficial to help maintain weight and reduce stress but recent research has shown exercise can reduce the risk of disease and boost the immune system.
Benefits of Exercise
Benefits of General Exercise during Pregnancy:
1) Fewer pregnancy complaints (backache, constipation, etc)
2) Less likely to gain excess weight in pregnancy
3) Decreased risk for gestational diabetes
4) Easier labor
5) Faster recovery after delivery
Benefits of Strength Training during Pregnancy:
1) Controls excessive weight gain
2) Reduces or avoids common pregnancy and postpartum pain
3) Builds adequate strength for lifting and carrying your baby and heavy baby-equipment
4) Improves your overall state of mind during and after pregnancy
5) Helps you cope better with the stressors of pregnancy and new motherhood
Benefits of Stretching during Pregnancy:
1) Counterbalances the biomechanical stresses that pregnancy places on the body
2) Relieves common pregnancy complaints such as back and shoulder pain
3) Reduces excess muscle tension
4) Help you maintain adequate length in key muscle groups
5) Helps reduce psychological stress
Benefits of Pelvic Floor Strengthening during Pregnancy:
1) Increased strength of the pelvic floor helps to support the body’s internal organs
2) Enables you to maintain urinary and bowel continence
3) Supports your organs during activities that stress them physically, such as laughing, sneezing and coughing